Once was blind…

February 3, 2008 at 4:10 am (future)

What time is it? Why it’s 8:10 pm. G’head, ask me how I know. It’s because I looked at the clock. Not so impressive, you say? Well, how ’bout this? I’m not wearing glasses OR contacts. Yup. Just my eyes. Just my fabulous new 20/20 (and improving) vision telling me that it’s 8:10. Well, actually now it’s 8:12. Ha! I did it again. I wonder if that’ll ever get old.

Yesterday around 3 pm, they led my mother to the viewing room and told me to put the Ativan under my tongue. Minutes later came the anesthetic drops. Then they wrote on my eyes. Really, I could feel it. It looked like they used a Sharpee, but I can’t be sure, back then I was blind. Then there were more anesthetic drops and they put me under the magic laser machine. I love that machine. If I could endorse that machine for best invention of, well, all-time, then I would. Lightbulbs are great and all, but what’s the use of artificial light when you can’t see? And sliced bread? Sliced bread pales in comparison to that machine.

It was right about then that everything started to move very fast. One eye at a time, I went through the magic process. Eyelashes got taped back. The eyelid-holder-opener was put in place (most uncomfortable part of the process, I swear). The doctor cut a flap in my cornea. All went dark for about 20 seconds. The blinking orange light I was to stare at returned. The popping sound began (they call it a ticking, but I think that’s only because no one wants to associate popping with their eyeballs). The doctor replaced the flap and cool, soothing water was applied. The doctor smoothed the flap with small, even strokes. I was told to shut that eye and the same process was repeated on the other one.

Walking out of the office yesterday, I could already see more clearly. Then I closed my eyes and did my best not to open them until this morning. I ate pizza with my eyes closed (while Mom giggled and told me where to wipe my face). I removed the eye shields only to apply drops. Then I replaced the shields and went to sleep at 6:30 pm. I didn’t wake up again for almost 12 hours.

My eyes were tired this morning. Tired, gummy from a lot of tearing up throughout the night, and sensitive to light. But I could see. And by 9 am, the tiredness and the gumminess were gone. I drove myself to get coffee. Then I drove myself to my one day post-op appointment where I was told that all was healing splendidly. And it hadn’t even been 24 hours!

I’ve been working ever since to get the smile off my face. It’s been 17 years since I could read a clock without glasses or contacts. So g’head, ask me what time it is.



  1. Jess said,

    I could hardly read this post without shuddering, because I am really squeamish about eye-touching. Writing on your eyes? Popping? Cutting flaps? I am horrified.

    HOWEVER. It is all worth it, because you can see! Congratulations!

  2. amber said,

    What time is it?? Oooh, good for you, I wish I could afford eye surgery, because I am tired of my contacts. But it’s awesome you can see again. 🙂

  3. Photo Post « Busty Satan said,

    […] It precedes my few months of living alone, the Ex-ALM, my life in California, the miracle that is LASIK, and (by more than 9 months, in case your math is bad and/or you care about such things) the birth […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: